This blog is intended to cronicle the happenings in the lives of those currently living in 2103 Prince George's Hall.

20050314

Dreams of Googling Crushed...

So my Gemstone mentor sent my name along to Google as a potential candidate for their summer internship program. About two weeks later, I got an email from them asking me to schedule a phone interview. I was really excited, and psyched, until one night, very late, while cruising the Wolframm website to use the Integrator to do some electromagnetics problems, I happened across a copy of the Google Aptitude Test, along with solutions in Mathematica on that site. Suffice it to say, I went into the interview pretty freaking scared. It turns out, the researcher who had been interested in me had misinterpreted something I had in my resume. She is working on GooglePrint, which will have a massive database of searchable documents. I had had a job two summers ago reading and classifying astronomy journal articles, and she mistakenly thought that I had designed some system to do this automatically. Nope, it was actually pretty low-tech.

A week later, I get a rejection email. Oh well, I guess it was never meant to be. I am and will remain, an amateur googler.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home